Monday, December 29, 2014

not quite BACK to normal

Hello!

Thank you so much for all of the support and encouragement, especially through my blog.
It has been over a month since my last post, so I have a lot to share! This coming Tuesday, 12/30, I will be 18 WEEKS post-op--which still has me in shock! I have some accomplishments and setbacks I wanna post on here...

Accomplishments:

 I was able to fully stop using my walker as of 11/11! It honestly still hurts to walk without it, but I feel the strength in my back increasing. I still cannot climb stairs without sharp pains, so my teachers are continuing to accommodate me, by letting me use the elevator :)

I have also turned 16 (yay!) and was able to get my license! Although it hurts my back to sit continuously in the car for awhile, short drives are tolerable. I feel so great to be able to drive because one if my earlier goals was to not let the surgery keep me from driving.

I have also been able to stop using my hospital bed for sleeping. The setback of not having the firm bed leads to more back pain, so I often sleep on our coach.

Setbacks:

I am still taking at least 1 or 2 pills a day for pain. I feel I am still constantly aching, which makes days nearly impossible to get through without rest or medication.

 I continue to bring an ice pack and a pillow around (especially where there are hard chairs). This helps me the most to be comfortable, and, while I look like I'm going to a sleepover every time I go to school, it helps so much!

Finally, I have to start physical therapy tomorrow because I am unable to achieve pre-surgical movement that other kids regain.


Despite my setbacks, I feel so much better than the initial weeks following my surgery. I know those of you still following my progress are probably wondering why it's taking longer for me to heal than what I have said earlier. It's mainly that every individual heals at a different time, and, though it may not seem like it, I am trying very hard to bounce BACK. Thank you for supporting me and listening to my complaints :)

I'm almost BACK to normal!

⚓️Alaine⚓️

P.S I will write about my 4th month post op experience on January 2nd.
P.P.S I will also write a what you need to know for surgery updat for those who are interested :)

No comments:

Post a Comment