Thursday, October 9, 2014

BACK at School



Hello!

I know it has been over a week since my last blog update, but I got tons of new information to share:)

The biggest news yet is: I HAVE BEEN GOING BACK TO SCHOOL! (I'm returning to school at 5weeks post-op)!

So far my school timeline has been-

October 3- One hour of School
October 6- Two hours of School
October 7- Two hours of School
October 8- Three hours of School
October 9- Four hours of School

I go to an Arts school, where all of the academics are in the morning and the arts are in the afternoon. Because I haven't been well enough to stay at school long, I generally leave during/after academics. I'm not going to lie, going back to school is tough, so I think it would be best to partition the experience into "pros" and "cons"

PROs:
-I get to see my friends and teachers that I haven't see for over a month
-I get to distract myself from the back pain, which makes a lot better
-I was able to work with my teachers to reduce my workload, saving me a ton of stress

CONs:
-I am constantly in pain (the chairs at my school are not the comfiest, so I bring a pillow to relieve the pain).
-I feel lost/behind going back to school because I have missed a lot.
-It is difficult for me to maneuver my way around the hallways because I am still unstable on my feet, and my walker is quite bulky.
-I have classes on the 1st and 2nd floors of my school, so I have to wait for the elevator a lot.
-The biggest con is STRESS! My teachers and peers have been amazing in working with me, but there is a certain amount of stress that is inevitable upon returning to school after a major surgery.

So far school is a little crazy and hectic, but I have decorated my walker (it was necessary, of course) and talked to my teachers about making up work!

I am still on all of my medications, as the pain still hasn't subsided, but hopefully I can ease off them soon.

As for any other updates, I have been getting really sick from my medication (AGAIN), and I have thrown up the last couple of days. We also rented a hospital bed for me to use during recovery, and the company is letting us keep it for an additional month (YAY!).  I have also made a point to decorate my house for Halloween!

For those of you who came across this blog because you are having the surgery, I have a few tips I will share at the next blog post :)

Thanks for the SUPPORT ;) and for putting up with my puns.

⚓️Alaine⚓️


Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment