Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Bad to the Bone-4 Weeks Post Op



Hello everyone!

That's right, I am one month post-op! 29 days ago, my back had two 45 degree curves (causing me plenty of pain). However, 28 days ago is when I went from having double scoliosis to a straight spine--all in a matter of hours. 

Below are a few more images from my surgery:



M





This month definitely has NOT been easy. I wish I could say I am doing better 1 month post-op than I was doing 1 month pre-op, but this blog is supposed to capture an honest recovery. I still struggle with basic functions such as walking, sitting, showering, etc. But, with everyday, I gain a little more mobility, making recovery easier.  I am still using my pain medicine and still throw up from it, but the pain is significantly less than it was in previous weeks. Currently, I am trying to catch up on schoolwork I have missed, which seems to the cause the most stress for me. Because sitting is hard, I have to take breaks to lay down every half an hour. Although recovery is still difficult, I do feel improvement with everyday. 

Now that I have the bad news about my recovery out of the way, I can share some positive things! I will start with last Friday night. My dad took me to my last baseball game of the season, and I was able to sit through 5 innings! I know it doesn't seem like that long, but it was a HUGE sign of improvement for me! The kind workers at the game got me front row seats right behind first base! Additionally, upon leaving the game, they offered me a wheelchair, so I didn't have to walk the long distance to the car. Although I was exhausted upon arriving home, I was touched that so many strangers were willing to help me out. I also was able to decorate my walker this weekend! For those of you who know, becoming president in the 2036 election is a
dream of mine; I decided there was no better way to campaign than using my walker! :)  

I am so grateful for the support everyone has offered me, and I will continue to update my blog as I recover! 

⚓️Alaine⚓️

2 comments: