Saturday, September 13, 2014

When Life Throws a Curve (or Two)


Hello Everyone!

I cannot even begin to express my appreciation for every single person who has had MY back throughout this surgery/recovery. I sincerely tear up when I receive cards/gifts/encouragement from church members, friends, and family-you never know how much you're loved until you've had spinal fusion.

Here are my X-Rays: Before and After



I know I left my last post on a negative note, and, considering the amount of pain I was in, it was honest. But today I have decided to share my accomplishments through a timeline:)

9/1-My sister flys in to help look out for me

9/2-I undergo surgery for scoliosis

9/3-I leave the ICU, and begin oral medication

9/6-I am cleared to leave the hospital, however find myself in an unexplainable state of pain

9/7-Woke up at home, lost all vision (eyes went black), and nearly passed out. (The next two days I acted similarly in terms of reaction to pain)

9/8- I allowed my sister the ABSOLUTE honor of bathing me/rubbing my feet;)

I will begin writing more about the last few days:

September 10th-

In the I was able to drink a full Gatorade bottle (for the first time). Shortly after my accomplishment, I had a major setback and threw up all over myself (for the first time since the hospital). As "That So Raven" would say: NASTY. Let me tell you, out with my stomach vile, in with a miracle. My friends came to visit me just after I had finished showering, and brought me IN-N-OUT {my favorite restaurant. if you ever happen to drive by, I get a grilled cheese}. The miracle was (and I haven't eaten a single meal since the hospital) I are the entire meal! YAY! But my improvement didn't stop there, I was able to leave the house for the first time since surgery. My friends and I got out my lovely walker, and we drove to a nearby bakery for macaroons :). My aunt also flew in from Ohio to support me. That was my first day I was starting to really recover.

September 11th-

I woke up rather stiff from pushing myself so much the day before. I turned on the TV and saw all of the news stories covering the events of 9/11, and I cannot say how heartbroken I am for the victims and their families (RIP). I also decided that was the day I needed to stop feeling sorry for myself, and appreciate what I am going to accomplish. I was able to leave the house for frozen yogurt (my stomach has NEEDS-what can I say). I relaxed with my family, and my executive editor, Caitlin, came by to keep me up-to-date on schoolwork (and drama). I continued to improve that day, making a point to watch "Herbie - Fully Loaded" to motivate myself to get back behind the wheel.

September 12th-

Today has been very relaxed. There is incredible pain in my hips and shoulders that probably exist from my compensation of limbs so I do not use my back to support me. My good friend stopped by, and my family supported me (like always). My aunt even did the unthinkable-combed/blow-dried (AKA Transformed) my rat's nest hair into a beautiful, tangle free situation. Basically, think Anne Hathaway- "Princess Diaries".


I have to say, my biggest accomplishment of the week is being able to SHOWER MYSELF! As much as I love other people bathing me, yo nessecito bañarme de las mañanas.


I thank you all again for your support! I will keep you updated!

Also: props to you if you read this whole post :)

⚓️Alaine⚓️

No comments:

Post a Comment