Wednesday, August 27, 2014

BACK to the future: (these puns just get better and better)


Hello everyone! Like I said in my last blog post, I am hoping to write more frequently as my surgery is a mere 6 days away (the last few months have flown by). After touring the hospital yesterday, I felt like I had some new information to share. (By the way, I sincerely thank you all for listening to me complain for so long! If I had to listen to me complain all of this time, I would have likely thrown myself out the window). 

So moving on to review my hospital tour:

I must admit, the experience was interesting. We arrived at the hospital lobby with two other families. We then talked to the physical therapist who informed us when they would begin teaching us to function again (considering I can barely function now, it will be interesting to see how I am after surgery). 

I got the biggest kick out of the PT explaining "log rolls" where, because of my limited ability to twist, I must resort to imitating a block of wood to begin my daily functions. But, sarcasm aside, I feel ready for this surgery. 

After we finished talking to the physical therapist, the nurse led us around the hospital to the pre-op, OR, ICU, and recovery suites. My hospital is extremely nice, and I am glad I don't have to share a room with anyone. 

The most interesting part of the tour was the explanation of what machinery I will be hooked up to. I have a heart monitor, an IV, and (god-forbid) a catheter. 

I actually have a funny little story about the catheter. Once the nurse explained the catheter's purpose, another girl from the tour who already had the surgery said she had thought the catheter would be great until she actually had to use it. When I asked her why, she simply replied with "who doesn't wanna pee in a bag at least once in their life"


My family got to ask questions of the girls who already had the surgery, and they were so expressive of how happy they were to get the operation. I feel even more confident about the surgery, and I cannot wait to have a great last weekend before surgery. 

FYI, I have declared this week ALW (Alaine's Last Week), so spread the word! #ALW
I will be BACK to post more soon,


⚓️Alaine⚓️

No comments:

Post a Comment