Thursday, August 14, 2014

Surgery (Disc)ussion Time {see what I did there}


So, after starting my blog, I felt it was necessary to explain the surgery and recovery process.  I will begin with the surgical procedure :). A spinal fusion surgery varies with every patient according to the severity and needs of their case. In my surgery, the doctor will make an incision down my back (from neck to lower back) and move the skin and muscles aside to achieve access to my spine. He will then attach screws to the individual vertebrae all the way down my spine (isn't that groovy). After the screws are in place, the doctor will secure 1 or 2 titanium rods to the top and bottom vertebrae, pulling my spine straight.  An artificial bone graft will be used to begin the fusion of the vertebrae. The doctor will then use plastic surgeon stitching techniques to create a thinner scar.

After awaking from the surgery, the pain is said to be rather severe, but with everyday, the pain becomes less. The hospital stay is between 5-7 days and the rest of the recovery process will be at home. I will be returning to school after approximately 4 weeks (depending on the manageability of the pain).

Although the surgery sounds intimidating and scary, it will change my life for the better by eliminating back pain in the long run.

The surgery will forever better me, but I will have some limitations due to the spinal fusion.  Basically, my spine will fuse into one bone, so I will not be able to bend at any point in my back. I cannot twist too quickly, or soon, after surgery. Driving will be a challenge, but of course, all of these challenges can be overcome.  I will be BACK ;) soon to share my journey.

⚓️Alaine⚓

2 comments:

  1. Great blog. I'm glad to have a way to follow your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so proud of you alaine, you're a superstar!! miss and love you lots

    ReplyDelete